Here are five timely tips to protect aligners and other orthodontic “appliances” while protecting teeth from decay.
- Avoid sticky situations with your aligners. Stay away from hard, sticky, crunchy or chewy candy and snacks. These include caramel, gummies, licorice, taffy, bubblegum (even the sugarless kind) and jelly beans
- Say “boo” to hard treats – including hard-shelled peanut candies, nuts or nut-filled candies, taco chips and popcorn (especially un-popped kernels). And whether in orthodontic treatment or not, Dr. Phillips cautions that no one should ever chew ice.
- Brush up! Sweets can cause cavities, which means brushing and flossing is more important than ever during the Halloween season. Orthodontic patients should be especially vigilant about brushing and flossing after consuming sugary or starchy foods.
- Spooktacular news: Not all Halloween candy is off-limits. Good alternatives include soft chocolates, peanut butter cups or other melt-in-your-mouth varieties.
- Make a commitment to oral health. Deciding to avoid hard and chewy sweets before the Halloween season increases your rate of success.
Please reach out to us with any further questions at 847-492-3492.
“When orthodontic treatment is complete, and patients see their healthy and beautiful new smiles in the mirror, they will know all of their efforts were worthwhile.”
– Dr. Gary Klein